Home Security Survey
“The nights are fair drawing in” as your grandmother used to say, which means Christmas isn’t far away. You might be heading home for the holidays, out on the town for the party season or even lucky enough to be jetting off for some winter sun. Whatever you have marked in your calendar, make sure that taking our quick home security survey gets ticked off before you go.
1. Are all of your doors fitted correctly? Is each door secured with an appropriate lock?
2. Do you have glass panels in any of your doors? Have they been reinforced to prevent shattering?
3. Do you have a wide angle viewer (peephole) fitted in your main door? If not, is there another way to see who is at the door before answering?
4. Is there a security chain or door restrictor in place? Do you make use of it?
5. Have you ever changed your locks? Is it possible a previous occupant has a key to any of your doors?
6. Do you keep spare keys with friends, family or neighbours?
7. Do you always lock your doors when you go out?
8. Do you lock your doors when working or relaxing in the garden?
9. Do you have any sliding or patio doors? If so, have you installed additional security locks?
10. Are doors properly fitted on your garage or other outlaying buildings?
11. Do garage doors have secure locks or deadbolts fitted?
12. Do you keep your garage door closed when not in use?
13. Are all windows fitted correctly? Are secure locks in place?
14. Can window opening be restricted to prevent access while open?
15. Do you ensure all windows are closed when leaving home?
1. Do you check for ID before letting cold callers or serviceman in?
2. Do you take steps to avoid keeping cash in your home?
3. Do you have lights with automatic timers fitted?
4. Does your home always give the outward appearance that there is someone inside?
5. Have you taken a note of the model and serial numbers of valuable items?
6. Have you recorded pictures of valuable items which have no model or serial number?
7. Are car / house keys kept out of sight when not in use?
1. Can your house number be seen from the street?
2. Is there sufficient external lighting outside your home?
3. Is there lighting outside your doors to allow you to identify visitors?
4. Can your home be seen clearly by passers-by and neighbours?
5. Have you ensured windows and doors are not obscured by plants or hedges?
6. Have you looked around your home to identify ways that burglars could gain access?
7. Are tools and ladders kept out of reach from potential burglars?
8. Are bikes, tools or machinery stored in your garage or shed? If so, are they chained and padlocked to prevent theft?
9. Are any shed doors secured with appropriate locks?
1. Do you have a neighbour you know and trust? Keep a spare key with then and notify them of any travel plans.
2. If you are away, arrange to have your neighbour collect your post or deliveries.
3. Does your neighbour have a vehicle they can park in your driveway while you are away?
4. Make arrangements to have your lawn mown if you are away for an extended period?
5. Have you notified Gardaí if you are away for an extended period?
6. Have you joined your local neighbourhood watch or community alert group?
We’re all about safety and security here at Lock Doctor so if you have answered “no” to any of the questions on our checklist contact us nationally on 1850 555 000, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call into any of our shops nationwide. Together we will help you ensure that your home is as safe and secure as possible this winter.